I built this as a free and open replacement for The Journal by DavidRM, which I have used for many years. The main issues I wanted to solve were better styling, and the ability to know that my entries are safe for the long-term, with an open and known database format.
Epic Journal stores your entries as HTML5 in SQLite – the most widely-used database engine in the world, and you can export your data at any time. SQLite has been around since 2000, and will be here for years to come.
- Fast and clean Electron app
- Single journal file that you can store in your Dropbox, or wherever you like
- Custom style types
- Pure HTML5 compatible
- Syntax highlighting
- Insertable templates
- Image support, with automatic resize to keep journal size down
- Active development
I’ll be working towards feature parity with The Journal, but the next things I’m working on are:
- Mobile app (nothing fancy, just to add entries on the go).
- Search. Good fast search.
- Multiple folders. They will be tabs above the editor – think of them as master categories.
- Linking between entries.
- Minimise to tray, and hotkey open.
- Notes folder – i.e. non date-related entries.
- Emoji support.
If you want to suggest a feature, just send me a message.